ajkuhn

Words, Worlds, Whorls

A place where I write reviews and keep track of what I want to read or have already read.

The Night Circus

The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern This book had me hooked from page one and I practically couldn't put it down afterwards. For a book that is essentially a love story, that is quite remarkable for me. The only thing that kept me from racing through all 500+ pages in two days was that I wanted to savor each and every description of the circus.The characters themselves were also fascinating. Not the main love-triangle; that was fairly straight-forward bordering on cliche. But the background characters - the opposing magicians who vie over nature versus nurture in magical capability; the contortionist with the secret background; the twins who were born as the clock struck midnight on the circus' opening night. The circus itself as a character. All of these and more were fascinating. Which of course meant that their less-than-thorough endings fell a bit flat and left me slightly unsatisfied.I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves beautiful description, magic, magical realism, Harry Potter, Mink River, or anyone just looking to lose themselves in a well-written book....so, basically everyone.