ajkuhn

Words, Worlds, Whorls

A place where I write reviews and keep track of what I want to read or have already read.

Here I Go Again

Here I Go Again - Jen Lancaster I asked for an ARC because I'd heard Bitter is the New Black was outrageously funny, and I'm pretty sure we're going to be carrying this book at work. Plus all the reviews on GoodReads were positive, so I thought I'd give it a go. I made it through forty pages on the first day. Second day, I struggled a bit more. By page forty-five, I pulled out a pen and started editing as I read, and marking all the cliches, exclamation points, and parts where characters seemed less-than-believable if not downright like cardboard cutouts. By page sixty I gave up.This book could have been amazing if it had gone either extreme direction: either more exaggerated and thereby more ironic, or toned down into less of a stereotyping hodgepodge of two-dimensional characters. Mean Girls meets Romy and Michele meets 17 Again...if that sounds like your kind of thing, then this book is for you.