ajkuhn

Words, Worlds, Whorls

A place where I write reviews and keep track of what I want to read or have already read.

The Office of Mercy: A Novel

The Office of Mercy - Ariel Djanikian Get an advanced copy, they said.This book "will thrill fans of Suzanne Collins, Margaret Atwood, Justin Cronin, and Kazuo Ishiguro," they said.I've read three of those authors and plan on reading the fourth one soon, so of course I jumped all over this book. From the beginning I was a little disappointed. I couldn't get into it; it moved really slowly, especially since I just finished The Hunger Games, which moves really fast. I felt completely lost about what was going on and why. Plus the writing was amateurish at best. A bit of research revealed that this is Ariel Djanikian's first novel.Oh great, another first novel. I'm not having a great track record with those.What this novel lacks in artistry, however, it makes up for in plot and philosophy. Once I got about halfway in, things really started to pick up. The climax all but sneaked up on me. The real clincher was the ending. I'm still not sure what to make of it, like the other reviewers so far. The final verdict is that this one might just warrant a second read-through sometime in the future, and I certainly haven't been put off so badly that I won't give Ms Djanikian another shot if/when she puts out a new book.I still can't get over the phrase "Natasha coughed chokingly." I nearly spit diet Coke when I read it, and everyone I told it to laughed at the sheer ridiculousness of the phrase.