ajkuhn

Words, Worlds, Whorls

A place where I write reviews and keep track of what I want to read or have already read.

The Glass Castle

The Glass Castle - Jeannette Walls I wasn't as enamored with this book as most people seem to be. Maybe I'm callous and jaded, or maybe the true depth of Jeannette's and her family's suffering did not come across in the narrative. Her writing seemed so detached from the events that sometimes I had to remind myself that the things she described in such an indifferent manner were probably actually quite traumatizing, like not having enough food. Beyond that, I mostly got the sense that her parents' hippie-dippiness was more of an embarrassment than true hardship. The parts where I felt the strongest emotions were when the children got into fights with their drunk father.On the other hand, this was an extremely quick read. I had anticipated it taking a week; instead I finished in just three days. The first day alone I read over a hundred pages. I can see why this book is a bestseller, but it just didn't have the same impact on me that it did on other people.